Web Technology: Beer site with JSF

Posted December 26th, 2010 in Portfolio, School by Dieter

I live in Belgium so it should be no surprise that I was given the assignment to make a site where you could promote your favourite beer. This site was made using Java Server Faces and proved to be quite the challenge. I had some experience with PHP, but apparently JSF had a totally different way of working. Luckily this was the only time I had to use JSF :)

Programming: Multithreaded client-server bordgame

Posted December 26th, 2010 in Portfolio, School by Dieter

Some time ago, I had to make a bordgame using Java. The result was a multithreaded client-server application, which worked pretty damn well. Data was stored in a MySQL database and the design was made using the built-in designer of Netbeans. All in all, it was a pretty fun assignment and the experience gained from this task really helped me during my internship.

Webdesign: Portfolio 2007

Posted December 26th, 2010 in Portfolio, School by Dieter

This is my old portfolio. Back then, I was only allowed to use HTML and CSS, which made updating my blog a tedious task. As you all can see now, I discovered the ease and speed of WordPress :) Nonetheless, for the sake of filling up my portfolio, here I present my old portfolio, which is still fully accessible at this site.

Flash: Biotope

Posted December 26th, 2010 in Portfolio, School by Dieter

This flash site illustrated my life and my hobbies at the time. It’s still one of my personal favorites, mainly because I got a lot of positive replies from it. It’s a shame I’m not very good at graphics, otherwise I would have definitely specialised myself in Flash and related technologies. Click here for an online version.

Java: Opensource reporting

Posted December 26th, 2010 in Portfolio, School by Dieter

Being the proverbial icing on the cake, this was the project I was given for my internship at Diasoft. They already had a working reporting solution, but it wasn’t a free one. This approach had some serious downfalls, like the increased cost of the software and the inability to customize the tool to fit your needs. That was where I came in: my job was to provide an opensource solution to their problem. I accomplished the following things for them:

  • Introduced JasperReports, an opensource reporting solution into their current software
  • Programmed a layer between their existing Toplink implementation (which was 10 years old…) and a new query language I created, named DQL (Diamant Query Language)
  • Implemented DQL, keeping the syntax similar to SQL to keep the learning curve low
  • Wrote a plugin for I-Report (the free reporting solution that came with JasperReports) which enabled a smooth integration with DQL
  • Converted some of their existing reports to the new JasperReports format

At the end of my internship, the people at Diasoft were very pleased with my work and that made all the problems I’ve encountered during my internship worth the trouble :)